Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stated in a different post that I'm going with the standard 21's because I can EASILY find custom wheels and tires that offer some uniqueness to my personal tastes for less than $2,500 a set, including sensors, mounting, balancing etc.

That, versus paying Rivian $3,500 to upgrade to either 20's or 22's makes far more sense. I end up with two sets of wheels and tires for $1,000 less.

I wish Rivian would have been more reasonable on their wheel pricing. I mean, they up charge $1,700 just to go from regular finish to black on the exact same wheel. $1,700 just for paint on the wheels? Yikes! Clearly, this is where they plan to increase their profit margins. Considering, they save having to give you the 21's, the 22's or 20's likely don't cost them more than $50 to $100 more than the 21's, if anything at all. So, only makes sense to keep the stock 21's and ADD a second set for Off-Road use and have the ability to have different sets for different travel needs.

I watched this video and he agreed......

I got to thinking about it, was going to get the full size spare with my package for $800, if I went with the upgraded wheels. Then realized, wait a minute!....If I buy four spare's could have 4 extra wheels and tires for $3,200, versus paying $3,500 just to upgrade and lose the 21's!.

The fact that they're selling the wheel and tire outright for less than the cost to upgrade starts to rub me the wrong way. I get making a profit and all, but, they probably could have made much more with more reasonable pricing. Many 4x4 owners go with custom wheels anyway. Had they been more reasonably priced, I'm sure they would have sold the upgrade many times over.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I stated in a different post that I'm going with the standard 21's because I can EASILY find custom wheels and tires that offer some uniqueness to my personal tastes for less than $2,500 a set, including sensors, mounting, balancing etc.

That, versus paying Rivian $3,500 to upgrade to either 20's or 22's makes far more sense. I end up with two sets of wheels and tires for $1,000 less.

I wish Rivian would have been more reasonable on their wheel pricing. I mean, they up charge $1,700 just to go from regular finish to black on the exact same wheel. $1,700 just for paint on the wheels? Yikes! Clearly, this is where they plan to increase their profit margins. Considering, they save having to give you the 21's, the 22's or 20's likely don't cost them more than $50 to $100 more than the 21's, if anything at all. So, only makes sense to keep the stock 21's and ADD a second set for Off-Road use and have the ability to have different sets for different travel needs.

I watched this video and he agreed......

I got to thinking about it, was going to get the full size spare with my package for $800, if I went with the upgraded wheels. Then realized, wait a minute!....If I buy four spare's could have 4 extra wheels and tires for $3,200, versus paying $3,500 just to upgrade and lose the 21's!.

The fact that they're selling the wheel and tire outright for less than the cost to upgrade starts to rub me the wrong way. I get making a profit and all, but, they probably could have made much more with more reasonable pricing. Many 4x4 owners go with custom wheels anyway. Had they been more reasonably priced, I'm sure they would have sold the upgrade many times over.
I am with you, I noticed that as well. I would have considered the black ATs myself, I think they would look sharp with the yellow exterior but since I get the free upgrade to the ATs with the LE I just can’t pay $3500 to upgrade to dark.

To make it worse for $800 you’re getting a tire and wheel. The tire is probably $250 so you’re only paying $500-600 for the extra rim.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It will typically take 6 mos - 1 year for the aftermarket to catch up to a new vehicle product launch. You have to be careful with aftermarket wheels. You have to make sure the bolt hole pattern and wheel back spacing align with the Rivian corner modules. Then there is another discussion about getting TPS (tire pressure sensors) to pair up with the vehicle.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
196 Posts
I'm sure if you want to buy spare wheels and tires you aren't going to be getting them for $800 each. As of now I plan to go with the normal 20s, but I'm not expecting to be in the production queue until late next year or 2023, so by then there may be aftermarket 20s that have been tested to fit, so I may change to the standard 21s, buy aftermarket, and sell the stocks.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Rivian should make an offer to sell a second set of wheels and tires at a reasonable price.
Not unless they have enough in their supply chain to equip all of the trucks they want to build. Which is doubtful.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Note that TireRack has all 3 of the Pirelli tires in stock. Priced between $375-450 each. Rivian should be focused on building and delivering trucks right now, not trying to compete with TireRack.

·
Registered
R1T
29 Posts
And to add insult to injury.. I confirmed with CS two weeks ago...if you don't purchase a full size spare, you will not get the tire jack, bottom plate and the spacer block that fits up into the openings on the frame. The jack combo is not (currently) available in the Rivian store or as a separate option... what's up with that?

• Wow
Reactions: oak202

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And to add insult to injury.. I confirmed with CS two weeks ago...if you don't purchase a full size spare, you will not get the tire jack, bottom plate and the spacer block that fits up into the openings on the frame. The jack combo is not (currently) available in the Rivian store or as a separate option... what's up with that?
I noticed that too, which is the primary reason I included the spare in my order. Likely will just keep it to have it, but I guess could sell the brand new spare wheel and tire and keep the jack kit. Probably could get the $600 or $800 back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts