Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
How fast did he drive?
And how long did it take him?

I just do not see how that is possible. That configuration has a range of 254 miles. Using 90% of the battery would be 228 miles. That is at least 12 stops, the first stop took 22 minutes. And the whole trip took 146 minutes and 48 seconds of charge time.

I really need to see the charge and trip details.

Even if they went 10 to 60 or 20 to 70 that is 50% charge would be 24 stops in the higher charge rates around 350 Kw it is about 8 minutes a charge which is 192 minutes and that is if they were able to do 350 kw for the entire charge cycle each time.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm looking for more facts about this trip but it was confirmed by Guinness, recorded on video and tracked via GPS the entire time.

"To complete the record attempt, Gerdes was required to meet a set of requirements such as noting down every stop with independent witnesses for each charge. Every mile covered by the Taycan had to be filmed, GPS tracked and accounted for before being certified by a panel of adjudicators ahead of the record being accepted."

Obviously Gerdes drove very slowly, in good weather, via the best route and only charged where he was guaranteed 350kw.
The goal was to reduce the time spent charging after all, not for the fastest trip.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm looking for more facts about this trip but it was confirmed by Guinness, recorded on video and tracked via GPS the entire time.

"To complete the record attempt, Gerdes was required to meet a set of requirements such as noting down every stop with independent witnesses for each charge. Every mile covered by the Taycan had to be filmed, GPS tracked and accounted for before being certified by a panel of adjudicators ahead of the record being accepted."

Obviously Gerdes drove very slowly, in good weather, via the best route and only charged where he was guaranteed 350kw.
The goal was to reduce the time spent charging after all, not for the fastest trip.
I understand that as well but cannot come close to those numbers unless he was beating EPA numbers by 40% or more. Just need to see the details for each leg, distance traveled, wind speeds, vehicle speeds, topography, battery percent used, charge speeds, etc…

Really interesting article just left me with way to many questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a brief, but unsuccessful search for a video from Alex on Autos where he had a friend follow him with a Taycan as he drove another EV for his set range test. If I recall correctly the Pcar got at least 280+

·
Registered
72 Posts
Assuming the hypermiled the Taycan should be able to get 300 miles on a full charge. Keep it as slow as they could safely and then sit behind other vehicles to maximize range.

Then I'd guess they targeted charging solely in the range where it sits at 270 kW.

At least that's how I'd do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts