• No

Votes: 12 75.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

The commitment to EVs is strong on here but is there any chance you see yourself returning to an ICE truck in the future? Or are you all in on EVs and done with fossil fuels? Vote in the poll and let's see what the consensus is.

For me I can't financially justify filling up a truck with gas with the way prices are right now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Two issues for me. Long haul towing a large trailer. About twice a year I need to tow 15-18k # on a 10 hour drive. It'd be nice to have a diesel to do that job for the next 3 to 5 years (until BEV charging infrastructure is in place and larger BEV trucks are available). Second is the lack of a lumber/ladder rack. But that can be solved today on the F-150 and I think there will be a Rivian solution in our future.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, because I haven't got my hands on my Rivian; no. I intend to slowly rotate out all my cars to EV. It's good for the environment and it's a relatively efficient car compared to it's ICE counterparts. Less moving parts, less maintenance, more power-what's not to like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Question makes the assumption that folks would only own 1 truck, but TWO and THREE truck households are common coast to coast.

Today we have a 2008 Dakota V8, 2022 Ford Maverick, and the Rivian. The old Dakota is going to my Dad in a week because he wants it to replace ancient failed motor F150. The Maverick is the replacement truck for the Dakota for all the dirty work plus surfing and camping in Mexico and towing to destinations hundreds of miles away for which towing with the Rivian is just not that practical (even hardcore enthusiast Kyle on Out of Spec Motoring doing all the cool towing tests of Rivian vs F150 Lightning admits more than once in his videos that towing with his Rivian with stops every 100 or so miles to charge because the towing cuts the range in half makes the current generation of E trucks not the most practical choice for the task). I am regularly up at 3am to tow over 500 miles with just one 10 minute stop to fuel up, the Rivian cannot do that. So, the Dakota had that job and now the Maverick does it. The Maverick will be filthy dirty and sandy much of its life, just as the Dakota has been, a more traditional truck life than the super nice Rivian will have. I will have some fun towing with the Rivian to events that are really close, like under 100 miles, but that's for fun and despite fact it is not practical for towing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I tow a camper 5k to 10k miles a summer. Getting 70-80 miles per charge is a deal breaker. That said as soon as I can get at least 250 miles on a charge with my camper hooked up I’ll ditch my ICE truck.
My situation as well, but I have somewhat less strict range requirements. I'd be satisfied with 125 - 150 miles between charges when towing, assuming that the charging network supports that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My situation as well, but I have somewhat less strict range requirements. I'd be satisfied with 125 - 150 miles between charges when towing, assuming that the charging network supports that.
I’ll agree with 125-150 with a SC charging network. I just think it will be a long time (if ever) that I get any chargers ~150 miles apart here in Alaska. Considering we have one Tesla SC in state and one EA SC under construction, a ~250 is likely in the next 3-5 years

1 - 11 of 11 Posts