Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This is the best news from Rivian all year...they will deliver our cars and we won't even have to push them into our garages and charge them for hours before we get to drive them...WOW 😂...I'm doubling my order to two R1S...
No joke. I’d go crazy if my R1T was physically in my possession but I still had to wait to drive it!

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
277 Posts
Everyone says the 'Don't charge to 100%' but when I reached out to Rivian customer service they said not a problem at all, go ahead if you want. I have never owned an EV so not sure what to make of any of this. I do know the last 20% of charge is the hardest to get in, but if I left it plugged in over night why would I stop at 80% and not let it go to 100? If the manufacturer says no issues at all then what is the challenge.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Everyone says the 'Don't charge to 100%' but when I reached out to Rivian customer service they said not a problem at all, go ahead if you want. I have never owned an EV so not sure what to make of any of this. I do know the last 20% of charge is the hardest to get in, but if I left it plugged in over night why would I stop at 80% and not let it go to 100? If the manufacturer says no issues at all then what is the challenge.
Two of the most likely explanations, in my mind:
  • CSRs have given mistaken advice, in the past.
  • Rivian Battery Management System (BMS) may intentionally hold back some capacity and report 100% charge when that isn't technically true. (SSDs do this with flash memory capacity)

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
233 Posts
Pretty sure you should never charge your battery to 100 percent unless you are planning a long trip. It should be 90 percent max for your daily driving
Not true. Tesla seems to recommend that because there is no buffer at the top. Most other manufacturers have a buffer. My Bolt has about a 5% buffer and they only have recommended charging states at lower levels, if you are putting the vehicle in long term storage. In those cases they also recommend disconnecting the 12V battery.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty sure you should never charge your battery to 100 percent unless you are planning a long trip. It should be 90 percent max for your daily driving
I always understood the whole 80% thing as some very safe general rule of thumb for battery health. Even on the low end too they say (in general) that 10-15% is what you don't want to go low than. Anyone know how true that is here?

The less these cars apply to that rule the better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always understood the whole 80% thing as some very safe general rule of thumb for battery health. Even on the low end too they say (in general) that 10-15% is what you don't want to go low than. Anyone know how true that is here?

The less these cars apply to that rule the better.
It’s OK to go below 20% while driving but you don’t want to let it sit below 20%, so you’d want to charge upon arrival.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
It’s OK to go below 20% while driving but you don’t want to let it sit below 20%, so you’d want to charge upon arrival.
I run my Tesla down below 10% quite often, and even less than 5% pretty regularly on longer trips when I’m supercharging along the way. 6 years and 60k miles and I’ve lost 5 miles (0.5%) from the max battery capacity over that time. So,I don’t think it’s harmed the battery.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Read up on this.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Old thread but revived, in any case... listen up newbies ;):
-Only charge to 100% if you need that extra range for a trip that same day. Sustained high charge states are not good for the longevity of lithium based cells.
-Try not to go below 20% on a regular basis because as you go deeper into the charge range it actually physically affects the cells (and not in a good way).
-Slow charge- ie L2 32amps at home is better for battery health than DC fast charging which heats the cells and also can cause negative physical changes in the cells.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Old thread but revived, in any case... listen up newbies ;):
-Only charge to 100% if you need that extra range for a trip that same day. Sustained high charge states are not good for the longevity of lithium based cells.
-Try not to go below 20% on a regular basis because as you go deeper into the charge range it actually physically affects the cells (and not in a good way).
-Slow charge- ie L2 32amps at home is better for battery health than DC fast charging which heats the cells and also can cause negative physical changes in the cells.
This is great advice, and the Rivian has 3 charge modes, that will fill the battery to 100%, 90% or 80%. The "Normal" way to drive the Rivian is to daily charge to 80% full. So yes you can drive your new vehicle with a 80% charge the same day, up to about 150 miles. Unless you are trying the 0-60 in 3 seconds over and over again!

Yes the 0-60 in 3 seconds is fun! It pushes back your stomach! Your head hits the backrest, and you are suddenly slowing down, as you already reached 60.

Charging slower is always good for the battery health. However due to the air conditioner compressor cooling the battery pack, it will remove a lot of the excess heat, should you decide to do a faster charge. I would prefer a 32 amp charger over the 40+ one at my house, more to prevent the lights from going dim when I plug in!

Your battery will last much longer if you normally charge to 80% full. This was true of my 2009 laptop, and true with the truck as well. Less stress on the battery pack. Yes you "Can" use a fast charger, and can charge to 100% each night, but those things can also harm the battery, leading to a shorter battery life.

Also leaving the battery not charged at all can shorten it's life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts