Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm still confused by your references to dealers and service centers. These things will not exist. The experience centers have given no indication they will be service centers, and all sales will be occurring virtually, so there are no dealerships.

I can't find the link now but I was under the impression Rivian is intending to partner with other companies for repairs that can't be done in a driveway. That being said, short of a battery replacement, what maintenance do you think they won't be able to do in a driveway? There should be a vastly reduced amount of moving parts in either vehicle compared to an ICE. If a motor dies, they just jack it up and replace the whole module. If something electronic goes kaput, I'd also assume that could be fixed on site.

Battery replacement? I could see them needing that to go in to a service center and get lifted, but how often do EVs have battery failures and need full replacement?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm still confused by your references to dealers and service centers. These things will not exist. The experience centers have given no indication they will be service centers, and all sales will be occurring virtually, so there are no dealerships.

I can't find the link now but I was under the impression Rivian is intending to partner with other companies for repairs that can't be done in a driveway. That being said, short of a battery replacement, what maintenance do you think they won't be able to do in a driveway? There should be a vastly reduced amount of moving parts in either vehicle compared to an ICE. If a motor dies, they just jack it up and replace the whole module. If something electronic goes kaput, I'd also assume that could be fixed on site.

Battery replacement? I could see them needing that to go in to a service center and get lifted, but how often do EVs have battery failures and need full replacement?
We are in a thread called Retail & Service Center Locations aren't we... I'm sure the approach will mimic Telsa with the minimalist approach to brick and mortar locations, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rivian does state they'll have service centers. In the first link they talk about being able to service wherever you are, but there's only going to be (at least initially) 10 experience centers in the US. Given that, I highly doubt those will be the same as service centers. I believe there's been some speculation that Rivian may leverage Ford service centers to fill out that capability.

As far as delivery goes, Rivian is not a dealer - that's why they're fighting with all these states over whether they can direct sell or not. If you're not a dealer, I'm not sure how you have dealerships. Again - experience centers have not been indicated as a 'dealership' style experience, though I imagine you might be able to get guided help for online ordering at an experience center, kind of like some retail stores do now where you browse in the store but do all your purchasing/ordering online.

All of this can change as time goes forward, of course. I hope it doesn't - every B&M Rivian runs is that much more money I have to pay to buy a vehicle so they can manage overhead. I'd rather see them go with a slick and lean model that reduces the consumer cost pass-throughs.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is what I found out ahead of more service info expected later in the week in a big news release.

"We'll be utilizing mobile service whenever an over-the-air software update isn't enough. Bringing service to your home or workplace at your convenience. If more extensive work is needed we'll provide transportation of the vehicle to and from a service center or third party partnership at no additional cost to you."

I wonder who that third party partnership will be with? Ford?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Most states require a "dealer" license to sell new or used cars in a state. For example Tesla holds a dealership license in Arizona, in order to sell new cars here.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
People keep bringing up Ford for service. Ford in themselves does not do service. The dealerships do. :)
I am surprised no one is bringing up Cox as the service partner. A couple of their brands do fleet service.
Here is one: Home - Dickinson Fleet Services
Interesting. I do remember seeing Cox being mentioned and maybe we'll see others step up too.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts